Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh My!

Gas prices are really starting to irk me (as well as many people) and there's more and more buzz about "stay"-cations and what do to around your own state. My family's favorite place is the Oklahoma City Zoo. If you have not been to the Oklahoma City Zoo recently, it is a must for nice quick and day trips! I absolutely love the zoo. If you think you will go more than a few times a year, I recommend paying for a membership. There are different levels and you can save a lot of money by paying in advance if you plan on going multiple times throughout the year.
 
Little man running off to play at Children's Zoo in the Oklahoma City Zoo.
My husband and I picked up the $45 pass* and we both get in unlimited days for a full year and many discounts and member only events (we got to preview the new elephant habitat at a special day and time) and it's tax deductible. Our son is free since he is under 3 years old. If you think about it it would cost us $16* a trip for regular admission so after 3 trips the pass is paid for! Even better, if my husband can't go I can take a friend and they still get in free (yay!). I won't tell you how many times (it's been more than 3) since I've been since I purchased mine in January... but I tell you, my son loves going too and we have fun every time.
  
Frugal Tips for a Zoo Trip:
  • Worried about concessions? You can pack a cooler and take it with you and have a picnic at the zoo. They do have storage at the zoo if you wish to take it in with you, but you can leave it in your car too if you wish.
  • Don't want to lug around your own drinks from home? I'd recommend purchasing the reusable souvenir cup.  Refills are 50 cents* and you can bring the zoo cup (has a easy lid & straw to help prevent spills) with you each trip to keep getting those 50 cent refills.
  • If you do not have a membership the zoo has specials throughout the year like free days during the week, these are usually during non-peak months. Check out their calendar for different discounts, events.


*prices may change after date of blog posting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment